Sometimes it’s just nice to be a prisoner inside your home when the weather outside doesn’t cooperate. Angela (my ridiculously beautiful wife) and I took advantage of a crappy day by staying inside over the weekend and playing around with some recipes.
I’m a firm believer that just because we are on a diet and trying to burn some fat, that life can still be enjoyable. We just need to learn to make some simple swaps and tweaks to turn not-so healthy dishes into diet-friendly masterpieces.
I’m pretty terrible in the baking realm. Just takes way too much time and patience. But, when I ran across the recipe for some protein brownies, Angela and I were all in. Simple to make and just freaking delicious, despite using a pretty interesting ingredient to make it all work: black beans.
The beans are pretty versatile and do not taste like black beans at all. In fact, they help make these brownies even chocolatey-er. Yes. I’m making up words now. The brownies were that good.
Since even I was was able to craft these wonderful pieces of fudge goodness and devour almost the entire batch in one weekend, I just HAD to share the recipe today. Big shout out to Anna Sward of ProteinPow.com for providing the original recipe.
Black Bean Protein Brownies
- 1 cup of liquid egg whites
- 1 can (200g) of unsalted cooked black beans
- ¾ cup of chocolate protein powder (I use BioTrust Low-Carb)
- ¼ cup of cocoa
- ¼ cup of agave syrup, honey or date syrup
- 3 tbsp of coconut flour
- 5 tbsp of cottage cheese
- ½ tsp of baking soda
1-3 tbsp of nut butter (peanut, cashew, almond … I actually used 2 tbsp Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut for even more chocolate taste)
- Blend all the ingredients together until you reach a thick pancake-like batter. You may need to add an additional tbsp of coconut flour if the batter is too runny, or more egg whites if the batter is too thick.
- Bake it in a small brownie pan at 320 F for 45 minutes to an hour, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Eat and enjoy
For the macro-conscious eaters, depending on the size of your brownies, you’re looking at the following breakdown: ~93 calories, 9.3 grams protein, 1.9 grams fat, 8.1 grams carbs (2.6 grams fiber)